Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Debut!!! *A Short Story

…I understand that this is his first game in the NFL but you should really see this kid play. He is something Phil. I tell you, from what I’ve seen him do during practice this might just be his lucky break. He has grown and matured from the sloppy Brian we all are used to and he seemed to have learned a lot in his few months with the Cowboys. For those of you just joining us, I am James Richardson coming to you live alongside my commentary partner; Phil Stevens from the Cowboys’ stadium here in Arlington and you can get choked by the abundant tension in the atmosphere here. Eagles’ fans are loving every minute of this, they are up by 1point with 4seconds to go and all they have to do is prevent the Cowboys from scoring and they are in the playoffs. I must mention that the Cowboys’ starting QB (Quarterback), Jimmy Danzelforth is out with a broken wrist and the backup QB, a rookie from University of Texas, Brian McAustin is getting ready to make his first NFL appearance and what a time to do so, its 4th down here in the 4th quarter and it’s all or nothing for the Cowboys. Can they make this a memorable day for their fans? All eyes are on Brian as the teams line up for scrimmage.


The noise in the stadium is deafening, all I can hear are the loud chants of the Eagles fans. The noise isn’t helping to cool my nerves, it’s my first time on the job and I don’t want to screw things up. It’s my chance to either make it or make it. I can’t afford a break it option. With everything ready, I take one look at my coach; his gentle and barely noticeable nod was supposed to mean trust but I know why I’m here, it has absolutely nothing to do with trust. One mistake and I’m gone. I know I shouldn’t be scared but I can’t help it. The coordination techniques my coach had taught me are near impossible to put to use as the only thing my brain can focus on is what will happen if I hit my target or if I miss. I make up a coordination technique for myself “Think of the action and think of it ending positively” now I feel a whole lot better. I smile, clench my fists and unclench them and slowly I say to myself “It is time”

Wherever you are watching this from, you have to pity the Cowboys. Yes they put themselves in this situation by not winning games at the beginning of the season but they have fought back as a team and it’ll be painful if they lose this game now. It’s their final attempt of this game and their final shot at the playoffs. And it all lies in the hands of Brian McAustin their QB. Can he make a play? Everyone is on their feet as Brian gets ready for the fourth down. If the noise in the stadium was deafening before I don’t know what you want to call it now. Brian takes the snap…

At this very moment the noise suddenly disappears, everything seems to quiet down as the moment I’ve been waiting for arrives. The people around me seem to move slowly and I can swear this came right out of a movie.

He had better release the ball before they hit him. He’s taking too much time; he needs to throw the ball

I know it’s hardest when the target is moving but clear that thought out of my head, narrow my eyes and up my determination level. And I just let it go.

Touchdown!!!

Bull’s eye!!!

The Cowboys have done it and they are going to the playoffs and their fans are rightfully delirious. What a shocker!!! Hold on! Hold on! There’s pandemonium in an area of the stadium. We can’t tell exactly what’s going on but there seems to be trouble in the crowd. It doesn’t look like their celebrating. It actually looks like… they are running. Oh my God, a report just reaching us from the field tells us the QB Brian McAustin has been shot; he’s dead! How on earth…

I’m 30seconds away from completing my escape, 2minutes ahead of schedule. My first day as an assassin and I’m feeling like a pro. Not bad, Jason, not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment